[Dovecot] plugin problem

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Sun Sep 30 11:47:26 EEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 09:30 +0200, Lars Stavholm wrote:

> Input Options
> -------------
> The plugin input options was easy, it seems that dovecot
> simply puts the options line into an env variable that
> can be read with the getenv() call, e.g.:
>
> dovecot.conf:
> protocol imap {
>   mail_plugins = dspam
> }
> plugin {
>   # dspam path ':' spam folder ':' [no]signature ':' ignore
>   dspam = /usr/sbin/dspam:Spam:signature:Trash
> }
>
> ...and in the dspam plugin code I simply parse the result
> from getenv("DSPAM") and there's the input options.
>
> In a future version one might add the ability to ignore
> more than one folder.

Coming from this, I think there are multiple things we should do. Let me
try to remember the feature requests I've seen over the past year :)

 1) signature logging instead of direct retraining
    (could use dovecot's dict service)
 2) port to dovecot 1.1
 3) give --user option to dspam (when no user in sig)
 4) ...

To do this, I'd suggest the following. This should work great since
AFAIK dovecot allows % expansion in the plugin options.

 * change the options like dovecot does with A=B:C=D:...
 * introduce options:
    * BINARY=/usr/bin/dspam
    - SPAM=folder1 (parser should allow giving it multiple times, i.e.
      allow SPAM=folder1:SPAM=folder2:SPAM=folder3...)
    - TRASH=trash1 (similar to SPAM)
    * USER=%u (if given, --user is given to dspam command line)
    * OPTION=--mode=teft (arbitrary options for BINARY, can give
      multiple)
    - SIGNATURE=X-DSPAM-Signature (header line in which signature is)
   here, * options are unique to the direct-retraining approach.
 * split off the "backend" into a separate file with some hooks that can
   be built as needed, introduce various backends:
    - dict signature logger
    - direct dspam caller
    - ...

I think I'll start from the git tree somebody else published.

johannes