[Dovecot] shared mailboxes question

Benjamin R. Haskell dovecot at benizi.com
Thu Sep 27 18:56:25 EEST 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Cory Coager wrote:

> I'm using a virtual mailbox setup.  Lets say my users have mailboxes in
> /home/vmail/domain/%u.  What I'm trying to do is setup one namespace that
> points to /home/vmail/domain and contains everyones mailboxes that I can
> subscribe to.  Is this possible?

Seems kind of an odd workaround, but I just tried setting up:
mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/.%u
namespace public {
  separator = /
  prefix = users/
  location = maildir:/var/mail
}
namespace private {
  separator = /
  prefix =
  inbox = yes
}

It makes listing all user mailboxes possible. (Each test user I logged in
with made another mailbox appear in LIST "" "users/%" )

For me, there are definite permissions problems, that I might be able to
work around with one or more of: login scripts, ACL's, or the
dovecot-shared file described in SharedMailboxes:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/PostLoginScripting
http://wiki.dovecot.org/ACL
http://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes#line-12

You, with virtual users, might want to use a single UID. (if you aren't
already)

Best,
Ben