[Dovecot] Configure/install path overrides

Remy Zandwijk remy.zandwijk at falw.vu.nl
Tue Sep 25 15:24:43 EEST 2007

Hi,

I'm building and installing dovecot on a Solaris 10 machine and therefore I
want to install Dovecot in /opt/dovecot. Thus, I start configure with
--prefix=/opt/dovecot. I also override things like 'libexecdir', 'docdir', etc.

When calling make install, Dovecot is installed in /opt/dovecot, but for
example the binary user files are installed in /opt/dovecot/bin/dovecot. The
same for the docs, which are installed in /opt/dovecot/share/doc/dovecot.

I think that's not quite nice and neat, so I call 'make install' like:
make docdir=/opt/dovecot/share/doc install. But even then, the wiki stuff is
still installed in /opt/dovecot/share/doc/dovecot/wiki in stead of
/opt/dovecot/share/doc/wiki. Very anoying.

My point is that ./configure should be able to override all paths, but since
some paths are somehow hard-coded in the Makefile, this is impossible. Any
chance this will (be) change(d) sometime?

-Remy