[Dovecot] Unknown dict module: db

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 24 20:30:53 EEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 15:55 +0200, Lars Stavholm wrote:
> Using dovecot-1.1beta1 I get "Unknown dict module: db"
> when starting up dovecot. In dovecot.conf I've got the
> "expire_dict = db:/var/lib/dovecot/expire.db" statement
> in the plugin{} section. Aparently required when the
> "expire" plugin is enabled. dovecot is built with
> "--with-db" and db-devel is present at compile time.
>
> Any ideas anyone?

The problem is that imap binary isn't linked with libdb, so this doesn't
work. You'll have to somehow kludge this yourself, or an easier way is
to use dict proxy. It's configured the same way as SQL for dict quota:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Quota/Dict

Note that the expire plugin hasn't been tested for a year or so, so be
sure to test that it works before relying on it :)