[Dovecot] kmail + IMAPS

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Sep 23 16:45:04 EEST 2007

I have dovecot IMAPS + kmail working perfectly on two laptops -
I'm using one now -
but I just tried starting it on a third laptop,
and cannot get it running;
kmail on the third laptop just waits indefinitely, saying
"Retrieving Folder Contents   Please wait ...".
All 3 laptops are running Fedora 7,
with more or less the same packages, all updated.

(1) I suspect the problem lies with authentication.
But how can I test this?
Running "telnet <server> 993" gets the same response on all 3 laptops:
	[tim at elizabeth ~]$ telnet www.*.com 993
	Trying 86.*.*.228...
	Connected to www.*.com.
	Escape character is '^]'.
with no further response until I press ^].

I looked at <http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation>
but this seems only to apply to IMAP on port 143.

(2) kmail has an option to "Check What the Server Supports"
under the Security tag,
but pressing this just returns without any message,
leaving whatever settings as they are.
(On the laptops where kmail is working as an IMAPS client,
the settings are changed to "Use TLS ..." and "Clear text".)

I realise this is probably a kmail question,
but shouldn't clicking on this option
return some warning if it does not work?

(3) I guess I don't understand exactly how TLS authentication works.
Does installing openssl set up the correct certificates
on server and client?
Is there any documentation on this?

Any suggestions or enlightenment gratefully received.