[Dovecot] Running a dovecot IMAPS server

Fri Sep 21 18:46:35 EEST 2007

On 9/21/2007, Bill Cole (dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com) wrote:
> A mailer shouldn't expect to be able to both work directly with a
> Maildir mailstore through the filesystem and with an IMAP server that
> is accessing the same mailstore.

Absolutely... but one thing that I have wished for is 'maildir-like'
support (ie, storing messages locally one file per message) in TBird for
the local/cached messages/folder, so that I could delete a single email
on the local side to force it to be redownloaded, rather than having to
delete the entire mbox file, thus forcing TBird to have to redownload
*all* email for that folder again (in some cases thousands of messages,
and Gigabytes of data, if you are keeping local copies for 'off-line'
access).

The word is it would take a major rewrite of TBird, so it isn't likely
to be implemented soon.

Does KMail actually work this way? This would be enough to make me try
it out... although my day to day WS is a windows box, so I'd most likely
wait until KDE4 is available on Windows...

Although, honestly I like TBird so much that I cannot seriously believe
I'd like KMail enough to permanently switch, even for this one major
benefit.

--

Best regards,

Charles