[Dovecot] What is your dovecot setup?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Sep 18 04:10:57 EEST 2007

On Tue 18 Sep 2007, Bill Cole wrote:

> >A concrete example of an actual mail setup
> >and how this is seen by an IMAP client
> >would have been much more useful, in my view.
>
> Aside from creating the top-level Maildir directory and telling
> whatever your delivery agent is where to find it (and perhaps telling
> Dovecot, if it is a strange place...), you don't need to set any of
> the Maildir structure up or go digging into it on the filesystem
> level. Dovecot presents an Inbox to IMAP clients, and IMAP clients
> can tell Dovecot to create whatever logical directory structures the
> user wants.

Surely it would take far less time to give your actual setup
than it would to explain (at length) how easy it is to set it up ...

Here is my server directory setup:
~/Maildir/[cur,new,tmp], ~/Maildir/.Family/[cur,new,tmp], etc.

My dovecot.conf sets
	mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir/

My .procmailrc sets
	MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail
	DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

I cannot see the Family folder from my IMAPS client.
Also it complains of the lack of .INBOX.directory
("Could Not Determine Resource Status").