[Dovecot] What is your dovecot setup?

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Sep 17 06:40:57 EEST 2007

At 2:45 AM +0100 9/17/07, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>I'd be really grateful if someone running a dovecot IMAP (or IMAPS) server
>could tell me exactly how their email folders are arranged.

Beware. You are asking to have other people tell you who you are.
That usually does not work well.

>What is the mail_location setting in /etc/dovecot.conf ?

I have no such file.

/usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf exists (and is used by my dovecot) and it
does not have anything set for mail_location.

Perhaps I should add that I do not use the dovecot delivery agent, as
it seems unneeded for my environment. I have Postfix delivering to
~/Maildir/ and dovecot finds my mail just fine.

>What are the directories (or some of them) containing mail messages?

~/Maildir/new is where Postfix delivers new messages. ~Maildir/cur is
where dovecot moves messages that it has seen. My mail clients do all
the work for moving some messages to subdirectories in the maildir
tree.

http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir describes the way
dovecot implements the Maildir++ quasi-standard.

>Does the client see an inbox folder?

Yes

>If so, what directory on the server contains these email messages?

~/Maildir/cur

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com