[Dovecot] Running a dovecot IMAPS server

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Sep 16 15:18:14 EEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 13:03 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Dovecot has both mbox and Maildir format support.
>
> I find the statement that dovecot has maildir format support misleading.
>
> By maildir support, I mean that mail is contained in directories
> ~/Maildir/inbox/[cur,new,tmp], ~/Maildir/Family/[cur.new.tmp],
> ~/Maildir/Finance/[cur,new,tmp], etc.

That's one way to implement multiple mailboxes to Maildir format, but
there's no such standard.

> As far as I can see, if you now set up an IMAP server using dovecot
> on this machine, setting
> 	mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir/
> in /etc/dovecot.conf
> then the email in the folders Family, Finance, etc
> will not be seen by an IMAP client.

With v1.1 you can do this with:

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs

> To clarify my question, suppose one has email organised in server X
> as described above, in directories ~/Maildir/Family/[cur.new.tmp/ , etc.
> And now suppose one wants to access this email from laptop Y.
> How exactly does one have to change the setup on machine X?
> And what does one set mail_location to?

Why do you want it to work like that? Can't you just use the Maildir++
layout and use the email only via IMAP?

> It seems to me that this is an issue likely to be faced by anyone
> wanting to run a small home network.
> reading email on various machines,
> and wanting this email to be kept "in sync".

If you use only IMAP, there should be no problem.