[Dovecot] PAM child process timed out, killing it.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Sep 9 11:09:15 EEST 2007

On 9.9.2007, at 11.00, Mart Pirita wrote:

>> Your PAM modules are getting stuck. Probably has nothing to do with
>> Dovecot itself.
>>
> But I haven't change/install/upgrade anything, but the Dovecot. And
> version 1.0.3 gives errors like crazy, 1.0.2 from time to time and
> older versions none? Seems something in new Dovecot versions drives
> PAM crazy.

The only changes to dovecot-auth between 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 were for
LDAP code, which you aren't using. So I think the problem has more to
do with the binary getting compiled a bit differently, causing random
problems in a buggy PAM module.

>> What userdb do you use?
> Hmm, passwd, dovecot -n:
>
> auth default:
>  verbose: yes
>  worker_max_count: 90
>  process_size: 512
>  passdb:
>    driver: pam
>  userdb:
>    driver: passwd

So where do PAM and passwd do the lookups from? If you're using
pam_ldap+nss_ldap you really need the blocking=yes for them to work
right.

>> You could try adding blocking=yes to passdb
>> pam's args or if you're using userdb passwd add blocking=yes to its
>> args.
>>

> So either passdb or userdb, but not to both?

Or both. If you're doing LDAP or other remote lookups it's a good
idea to set it to both.