[Dovecot] passdb/userdb args

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Sep 9 04:37:29 EEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 16:20 -0700, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> I'm a bit unclear on these - give me a moment to ramble on.  I should
> mention I'm using version 1.0.3, my primary backend is LDAP, and I do
> NOT want to store user mail folders in my LDAP directory.
>
> I currently have the following:
>
> default_mail_env = maildir:/var/mail/%d/%n

mail_location is used nowadays.

> user_attrs = %d/%n=mail

You don't have to set mail separately, it's enough to set it once in
mail_location.

> pass_attrs = (&(userPassword=password)(mail=%u))

That looks like it should be in pass_filter, not pass_attrs.

> user_global_uid = 5000
> user_global_gid = 8
>
> I recognize that the pass_attrs is incorrect for a prefetch config - but
> I couldn't get it to work.  My mail folder structure is
> /var/mail/domain/username.
>
> If, under 1.0.3, I can't use the %d/%n variables to build the
> user/home/mail parameters in the LDAP config, can I do it in the
> configuration stanza?  Something like:

Use static userdb instead, since you don't need to look up anything from
userdb. http://wiki.dovecot.org/UserDatabase/Static