[Dovecot] BUG REPORT - Stops logging after sleep

Bruce Bodger bbodger at bodcon.com
Sat Sep 8 16:54:50 EEST 2007

Timo,

Compiled and installed v1.0.4 this morning on OS X 10.4.10...

./configure --with-ssldir=/System/Library/OpenSSL --with-ssl=openssl
--with-notify=kqueue

...all is well.

I wonder if you remember the conversation that we had back on May
11.  This was the situation where after the system ran nightly
maintenance dovecot info stopped appearing in mail.log (I'm being
careful how I state that: I believe you had surmised a problem with
Apple's syslogd implementation.

Ever since our conversation I've been running these commands in
daily.local... after maintenance rolls the logs...

killall dovecot
sleep 1
/usr/sbin/postfix reload

Of course, launchd restarts dovecot.

That's been working just fine... no problems at all.  But now that
we're up to dovecot 1.0.4 I'm wondering if you've ever looked into
this anomaly...  Perhaps things have changed regarding logging?  I
don't mind testing it here without the nightly kill but before I do,
wondered if you ever made any adjustments in the code for it.

Thanks,
B. Bodger