[Dovecot] Dovecot + Sieve

pod pod at herald.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 5 22:16:38 EEST 2007

    DM> I've tried manually compiling the script.  I now have a "sieve"
    DM> and a "sievec" in my mail folder, and the "sieve" variable in
    DM> dovecot.conf (1.0.3) is set to /var/mail/%d/%u/sieve (The filename
    DM> specified should be the script source, not the compiled version,
    DM> correct?).

    DM> I receive no errors from deliver using this method - but no
    DM> evidence that the script is being followed, either.  I thought I'd
    DM> start with something simple - when that didn't work I added a
    DM> global fileinto directive - still not doing anything.  Do I need
    DM> to set execute permissions or turn off world-readable permissions
    DM> on the script or compiled version?

Create the following config file or something similar:

log_path = /dev/stderr
info_log_path = /dev/stderr

mail_debug = yes
mail_location = maildir:%h/tmp/Maildir

protocol lda {
  postmaster_address = postmaster at example.org
  mail_plugins = cmusieve
}

put it in, say, ~/tmp/dovecot.lda-debug.conf.  Directly invoke deliver as
a regular user with the -c option pointing to this config file, e.g.

user at shell$ date | /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver -c ~/tmp/dovecot.lda-debug.conf

Observe the output.

    DM> require ["fileinto"];
    DM> if header :contains ["From","To"] ["root at amfes.com","root at amfeslan.local"] {
    DM>   fileinto "System-Messages";
    DM> }
    DM> fileinto "System-Messages";

I think you ought to consider using an ADDRESS test rather than a HEADER
test for this sort of match, thus

if address :is :all ["from", "to"] ["root at amfes.com", "root at amfeslan.local"] {
  # ... etc
}

which will do proper address matching (i.e. phrase or comment parts in
headers won't match) against a reasonable set of sender and recipient
headers (for example a CC header).