[Dovecot] Dovecot + Sieve

Marcin M. Jessa lists at yazzy.org
Wed Sep 5 10:42:09 EEST 2007

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:00:49 +0200 (CEST), Steffen Kaiser
<skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Marcin Michal Jessa wrote:
>
> The naming of the Sieve script and the configuration variables is
> explained here:
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve
>
> Note: The change of the name of global script path.
>
> "script path" refers to a filename, not just the directory of the
> ".dovecot-sieve" file.
>
> BTW: Because the script is compiled into a byte code representation,
> everybody needs write permission to the directory of the script (creates
> .tmp file, on success renames into <<script path>>c ).
> If you force the compilation process using "sievec", no write permission
> is required, e.g.:
>
> scriptpath=<<absolute filename/path of your Sieve script>>
> /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/sievec $scriptpath ${scriptpath}c

I just ran a test defining sieve_global_dir = /usr/local/etc/sieve/
in my dovecot.conf and commenting global_script_path =
Then I renamed my sieve script to .dovecot-sieve in that dir.
And nothing happened. It was not compiled and used.
I had to define global_script_path = again and then I could as well give
the
script a more reasonable name like Junk since it takes care of filtering of
junk mail.
Any idea why it does not work as you say?

BTW, http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve should have things mentioned for
global users as well
since I overlooked that part from "Per-user Sieve script location" thinking
it did
not consider users of global scripts.

Marcin.