[Dovecot] 1.1Beta5 Issue

Bill Landry bill at inetmsg.com
Mon Oct 29 23:55:27 EET 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 13:04 -0700, Bill Landry wrote:
>> I have a question about using gdb, as I too had a message that I could not move
>> between folders (however, that was prior to 1.1b5).  When you say to gdb the
>> "pid of imap process", how do you determine which pid to trace when the output
>> of "ps axf" is?:
>>
>>  2252 ?        Ss     0:00 dovecot
>>  2256 ?        S      0:00  \_ dovecot-auth
>>  2265 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap-login
>>  2266 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap-login
>>  2267 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap-login
>>  3048 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap
>>  3054 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap
>>  3061 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap
>>  3063 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap
>>  3064 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap
>>  3065 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap
>>  3066 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap
>>  3404 ?        S      0:00  \_ imap
>
> Well, ps aux at least shows the user (if you use different UIDs). Also
> if you have an imap process eating 100% CPU that'd be a good clue as
> well. :)

I had already tried the  ps "u" flag, but the user in my configuration is always
"vuser".

> Setting verbose_proctitle=yes is also helpful.

Ah yes, setting "verbose_proctitle=yes" helped indeed:

vuser [...] imap [bill at inetmsg.com xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

Is there any reason not to keep "verbose_proctitle=yes" set (like performance
issues or something)?

Thanks!

Bill