[Dovecot] frequent index rebuilds versus disabled indexes

Justin McAleer justin at fehuq.com
Wed May 30 16:38:08 EEST 2007

Ok, here's the short and sweet version of my dilemma. I have a group of
servers mounting a shared NFS device to hold mail data for many
different domains. Is it worth the load balancing management nightmare
of setting up dedicating smtp, pop, and imap to one server (failing over
to another in the group if the server goes down) to keep indexes on
local disk? It's very tempting to just disable indexes and not worry
about which server a user hits, and considering the vast majority of our
170,000 accounts only have about a 20MB quota, I'm not sure indexes will
help that many users. Although, I guess I would need to work out
something for the few huge accounts we do have.