[Dovecot] needing UNSELECT to notice new mail?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu May 24 16:03:31 EEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 08:48 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Basically everything works fine except that in gnus typing 'g' in the
> *Group* buffer, which is supposed to check for new mail and list the
> number of new messages, fails to notice new mail.

Show me the IMAP traffic logs and ls -ld output of the Maildir/new
directories before and after the mail lookup check.

> Or should dovecot be not relying on cached state and revalidate the
> mailbox on STATUS, even if it is already SELECTED?

Dovecot checks if new/ or cur/ directory's mtime changed. If neither
did, it trusts its cached state (basically, there's another
dirty-recheck-rule).

> Further, is it the group's opinion that a well-behaved client would
> UNSELECT or CLOSE when the user takes an action that indicates being
> finished with a mailbox?   Or is it reasonable to leave a mailbox
> SELECTed as an optimization.   It seems that for Thunderbird, etc., the
> user sits in INBOX with IDLE, but with gnus I tend to be in *Group* with
> no mailboxes selected.

Leaving mailbox selected and IDLEing there (or not) is ok. In general
Dovecot doesn't try to enforce any specific kind of client behavior.