[Dovecot] Courier migrating issues: indexes, maildirsize, update query

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu May 24 12:06:04 EEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 09:58 +0200, Jan van den Berg wrote:
> You're right I had this in my query:
> concat('maildir:', maildrop, username) as mail
>
> I deleted it and now this seems to work for me:
> mail_location = maildir:/var/spool/mail/%1u/%1.1u/%u:INDEX=MEMORY
>
> I must say I am _stunned_ by the/your reaction speed on the maillist
> (thanks for the wiki this explains a lot).
>
> "Each mailbox has its own separate index files. If the index files are
> disabled, the same structures are still kept in the memory"
> I suppose that this is how Courier also works; or would this imply that
> Dovecot will be a RAM hog?

That's pretty much how Courier works, although I don't know what data
excatly it keeps in memory. As for memory usage, I did a small benchmark
with 5587 mail maildir:

1: (logged in)
2: SELECT INBOX
3: FETCH 1:* ENVELOPE
4: SORT (DATE) US-ASCII ALL
5: SEARCH SUBJECT HELLO

Dovecot v1.0.0, INDEX=MEMORY:
   %CPU   VSZ   RSS TIME
1:  0.0  6472   696 0:00
2:  0.0  7412  1712 0:00
3:  2.0  7412  1784 0:00
4:  1.8  7604  1932 0:00
5:  1.7  7604  1932 0:00

Courier 4.1.1.20060828-6 (Debian):
   %CPU   VSZ   RSS TIME
1:  0.0 18248  1208 0:00
2:  0.0 24132  2592 0:00
3:  1.4 24136  2636 0:00
4:  2.5 24664  3276 0:01
5:  3.3 24140  2776 0:02

Dovecot doesn't seem to give up the 200kB memory it used for SORT, but
probably doesn't matter (it's not a memory leak anyway).