[Dovecot] Will pay $500 towards a Dovecot feature

Christian Schmidt christian at siebenbergen.de
Thu May 24 00:43:55 EEST 2007

Marc Perkel, 23.05.2007 (d.m.y):

> IMAP establishes a connection between the client and the server.
> Wouldn't it be great if it could be a conduit to let custom Thunderbird
> plugins talk to custom server application over the IMAP interface? For
> example, personalized server settings. Suppose for example I want
> Thunderbird to edit my server side white lists or black lists or any
> other setting? Wouldn't it be nice if IMAP supported these changes?

AFAIK, the "M" in IMAP stands for "Mail", not for "Calendar" or
"Schedules".

> The connection is made. It's a secure connection that's been authenticated.

You can also use LDAP and/or Kerberos to authenticate your users for
other services - e.g. HTTP/WebDAV access to their Calendars, for
managing their Sieve filters and so on.
Thus, your proposal sounds to me a bit like reinventing the wheel. And
I think that what we want is dovecot, not Exchange.

Nevertheless, feel free to give me $500. ;-)

Gruss/Regards,
Christian Schmidt

--
Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
		-- Mark Twain