[Dovecot] deliver rejection message

Daniel leva at az.isten.hu
Wed May 23 21:05:56 EEST 2007

2007. May 23., Timo Sirainen:
> Currently the typical rejection message is:
>
> ---------
> Your message was automatically rejected by Dovecot Mail Delivery
> Agent.
>
> The following reason was given:
> Quota exceeded.
> ---------
>
> Then there is MDN + message headers in other MIME parts. But of
> course there sucky clients that can't display MDNs and users get
> confused.
>
> Any suggestions how to improve this message? I'm not sure if the
> "Dovecot Mail Delivery Agent" even needs to be in there. How about
Probably you're better off excluding Dovecot program information from
this kind of bounces. See Postfix's Changelog[1]:

[...]
Major changes - delivery status notifications
[...]
[Incompat 20060806] Postfix no longer announces its name in delivery
status notifications.  Users believe that Wietse provides a free
help desk service that solves all their email problems.
[...]

> something like:
>
> ---------
> Your message to <foo at bar.org> was automatically rejected:
> Quota exceeded.
>
> See the attachment for the original message's headers.
> ---------
>
> And should I change this for v1.0.1 already?

[1] - ftp://postfix.cloud9.net/official/postfix-2.4.1.RELEASE_NOTES

--
Daniel