[Dovecot] newbie with dovecot acls needs a little help :-)

Rachid Zarouali rachid.zarouali at afnic.fr
Tue May 22 17:36:12 EEST 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 04:22:46PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 18:49 +0200, Rachid Zarouali wrote:
> > hy all,
> >
> > i'm trying to make an acl so a local unix user 'sie' can access exalead mboxes.
> > my exalead mboxes are stored in :
> > /opt/exalead/mail/sie/
> ..
> > mail_extra_groups: exalead
> > mail_location: mbox:/opt/exalead/mail
>
> A bit late, but if you haven't figured out anything yet:
>
> ACL plugin can only be used to remove permissions that would otherwise
> be given by filesystem permissions. So I guess your problem is that
> whatever user is trying to access the sie mboxes doesn't have permission
> to do so. Is it really enough to have users in exalead group to be able
> to access the mboxes? Anything in Dovecot's logs?
well here is how i tricked it:

i checked the umask for the exalead account is : 0002
i made sie member of the exalead group
in his $HOME dir , i made a symlink to /opt/exalead/mail/sie/ for the mail dir.
this way, the sie user will have it's own dovecot index and log files and
can access the imap mailboxes readonly mode.

checking dovecot logs everything works well
and using mutt i can access the mailboxes in readonly mode.

--
Rachid Zarouali
Administrateur Systèmes/Applications
rachid.zarouali at nic.fr