[Dovecot] Quota handling - opportunity for new Feature?

Tue May 22 17:11:42 EEST 2007

This initial proposal for a Feature Request is the result of my desire
to implement quotas, but not have the attendant headaches that
inevitably accompany its implementation.

Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
 > I have to face it, my users are retards:

Is there any other kind of user?  ;)

<snip>

 > Thus I need a feature in dovecot that will tell them via email:
 >
 > Level1: "You ALMOST exceeded your quota, you're at 90% now"
 > Level2: "You're very close to exceededin your quota, you're at 95%
 > now"
 > Level3: "Would you please clean up now? You're at 99% now"

What I'd *really* like to see implemented is something along the lines
outlined below - but of course, this will depend entirely on whether or
not Timo thinks it is doable - or desirable...

I know this would only be applicable if also using the dovecot LDA,
because what I want to do requires cooperation at both the deliver and
pop/imap ends...

1. Have two 'special' user-specific folders (by special, I mean like the
Drafts, Sent, Templates folders) that dovecot controls:
   a) one, that the user has read-only access to and shows up in his
folders list, that is used only for system-related messages, like
over-quota notices - and maybe even user-specific log-type errors could
be delivered here?
   b) and one (hidden) that the user does *not* have access to, to
temporarily hold messages that come in that are unable to be delivered
due to an over-quota condition

2. When user is over quota, have LDA deliver to folder b (yes, accept
the message for delivery from the sending mta), and then generate an
over-quota message that is delivered to folder a.

Optionally, a bounce could be generated to the sender, informing them
that their message is being 'held in queue' or something to that effect,
due to the recipient being over-quota.

3. Once the user deletes enough mail to come back under quota, dovecot
would then move messages from the 'over-quota' folder to his Inbox.

Ok, am willing to hear reasons how/why this is a terrible idea... :)

--

Best regards,

Charles Marcus
I.T. Director