[Dovecot] Getting rid of the common newbie problems

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 22 01:06:07 EEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 20:35 -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Timo Sirainen writes:
>
> > 1) Split the config files, so the less used settings are separate files
>
> I think that would be good.
> Specially if you could have a tool chain that would produce both files from
> one source.

Is there a need to have both? I was thinking about just splitting the
current dovecot-example.conf to example/*.conf or something, which
distributions could then maybe install to /etc/dovecot/example/.

> > 2) Remove some of the settings completely from dovecot-example.conf,
> > although they could still exist (mail_cache_fields,
> > mail_never_cache_fields at least)
>
> Are these settings only needed for debugging?

They're some micro-optimization settings and the only time when they
might be useful is when you know exactly what IMAP clients are used and
even then only for newly created mailboxes. In general Dovecot figures
out itself what it should cache and there's no need to override them
manually.

> Would they be documented anywhere?

dovecot-example.conf has something about them but there's no other
documentation.