[Dovecot] CVS to Mercurial switch

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Sun May 20 07:43:48 EEST 2007

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 11:33:23PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-05-19 at 22:31 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > > or Git?
> >
> > It seems a bit kludgy with all of its different commands and scripts.
> > Also I don't really like its code. It's using standard C functions for
> > string manipulations and in general it's using a lot with fixed size
> > buffers. If it wasn't written by kernel developers, I'd say it's most
> > likely full of buffer overflows. But since it is (was?), perhaps there
> > are only a few. I don't want to risk it.
>
> Just out of curiosity I checked it. There are even basic string
> manipulation errors in their code:

I wasn't scared of the git server before, but I am now. The mercurial
web CGI is dead-easy to set up, and doesn't need write access (like CVS
did for locking) to be able to serve out the repo.

I also found mercurial the least kludgy of the other things I've tried,
although all the extensions are starting to make the output of "hg help"
a little longer than the nice simple earlier versions had ;)