[Dovecot] index-related crash in dovecot 1.0.0

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri May 18 16:10:32 EEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 12:28 +0200, J.Wendland at scan-plus.de wrote:
> Hi,
> more info:
>
> Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> schrieb am 16.05.2007 15:58:06:
> > On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 13:44 +0200, J.Wendland at scan-plus.de wrote:
> > > dovecot: 2007-05-16 13:30:09 Error: IMAP(6126360): file
> > > index-mail-headers.c:
> > >   line 260 (index_mail_parse_header): assertion failed: (part != NULL)
> >
> > I'm still not sure how you managed to cause this, but I think this will
> > fix it: http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2007-May/008821.html
>
> I'll try this patch. The mailbox was used with rc15 with which the
> crash appeared. I then upgraded to 1.0.0 hoping that this version
> would not crash anymore but the error persisted. So it may be that
> rc15 did something wrong to the index files that causes the crash.

The problem isn't with index files, but how Dovecot initializes message
parsing. Different code paths are used when headers are already found
from indexes than when they're not. Also different code paths are used
depending on what fields you want to fetch. So Dovecot always tries to
minimize the amount of work needed to be done.