[Dovecot] Replication plans

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Thu May 17 18:04:36 EEST 2007

My first reaction is that I've already got replication by running
dovecot on AFS ;)

But that's currently not *really* replicated. The real question I guess
is why not use a cluster/distributed/san filesystem like AFS, GFS,
Lustre, GPFS to handle the actual data, and specify that replication
only works for maildir or other single file per message mailbox formats.

This puts about half the replication problem on the filesystem, and I
would hope keeps the dovecot code a lot simpler. The hard part for
dovecot is understanding the locking semantics of various filesystems,
and doing locking in a way that doesn't totally trash performance.

I also tend to have imap clients open on multiple machines, so the
assumption that a user's mailbox will only be accessed from 1 IP is
probably a bad one.

I'd suggest that multi-master replication be implemented on a
per-mailbox basis, so that for any mailbox, the first dovecot instance
that gets a connection for that mailbox checks with a 'dovelock' process
that can either backend to a shared filesystem, or implement it's own
tcp-based lock manager. It would then get a master lock on that mailbox.
If a second dovecot gets a connection to a mailbox with a master lock,
it would act as a proxy and redirect all writes to the master. In the
case of a shared filesystem, all reads can still come from the straight
from the local filesystem. In the case of AFS, this might hit the
directory lookups kind of hard, but I think would still be a big win
because of local cacheing of all the maildir files, which for the most
part are read-only.

In the event that a master crashes or stops responding, the dovelock
process would need a mechanism to revoke a master lock.. this might
require some filesystem-specific glue to make sure that once a lock is
revoked the dovecot process that had it's lock revoked can't write to
the filesystem anymore. I can think of at least one way to do this with
AFS by having the AFS server invalidate authentication tokens for the
process/server that the lock was revoked from.

Once the lock is revoked, the remaining process can grab it and go on
happily with life. Once the dead/crashed process comes back, it just has
to have it's filesystem go out and update to the latest files.

I like the idea of dovecot having a built-in proxy/redirect ability so a
cluster can be done with plain old round-robin DNS. I also think that in
most cases, if there's a dead server in the round-robin DNS pool, most
clients will retry automatically, or the user will get an error, click
okay, and try again. Having designated proxy or redirectors in the
middle just makes things complicated and hard to debug.

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 04:45:21PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Several companies have been interested in getting replication support
> for Dovecot. It looks like I could begin implementing it in a few months
> after some other changes. So here's how I'm planning on doing it:
>
> What needs to be replicated:
>
>  - Saving new mails (IMAP, deliver)
>  - Copying existing mails
>  - Expunges
>  - Flag and keyword changes
>  - Mailbox creations, deletions and renames
>  - Subscription list
>  - IMAP extension changes, such as ACLs
>
> I'll first talk about only master/slave configuration. Later then
> master/multi-slave and multi-master.
>
> Comments?
>
> Basic design
> ------------
>
> Since the whole point of master-slave replication would be to get a
> reliable service, I'll want to make the replication as reliable as
> possible. It would be easier to implement much simpler master-slave
> replication, but in error conditions that would almost guarantee that
> some messages get lost. I want to avoid that.
>
> Both slave and master would be running a dovecot-replication process.
> They would talk to each others via TCP connection. Master would be
> feeding changes (transactions) to slave, and slave would keep replying
> how far it's committed the changes. So there would be an increasing
> sequence number sent with each transaction.
>
> Master keeps all the changes in memory until slave has replied that it
> has committed the changes. If the memory buffer gets too large (1MB?)
> because the slave is handling the input too slowly or because it's
> completely dead, the master starts writing the buffer to a file. Once
> the slave is again responding the changes are read from the file and
> finally the file gets deleted.
>
> If the file gets too large (10MB?) it's deleted and slave will require a
> resync. Master always keeps track of "user/mailbox -> last transaction
> sequence" in memory. When the slave comes back up and tells the master
> its last committed sequence, this allows the master to resync only those
> mailboxes that had changed. If this mapping doesn't exist (master was
> restarted), all the users' mailboxes need to be resynced.
>
> The resyncing will also have to deal with new mailboxes, ACL changes and
> such. I'm not completely sure yet how the resyncing will work. Probably
> the only important thing here is that it would be good if it would
> resolve any message UID conflicts (even though they shouldn't happen,
> see below) by comparing either the messages' MD5 contents, or with
> maildir it would be enough to just compare the maildir filename.
>
> It's possible that the slave doesn't die completely but only some
> transactions fail. This shouldn't normally happen, so the easiest way to
> handle it would be to try a full resync, and if that still fails stop
> the whole slave. Another way would be to just mark that one user or
> mailbox as dirty and try to resync it once in a while.

> [...]

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                hozer at hozed.org

Somone asked me why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz