[Dovecot] cyrus + cydir benchmarking

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed May 16 22:11:32 EEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 21:21 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Dovecot CVS HEAD + cydir + fsync_disable=no:
> ./imaptest - append=100 seed=1 secs=30 msgs=1000000 logout=0 select=0
> clients=100
> Logi Appe
> 100% 100%
>        5%
>  100 35217

In the above tests the cache file wasn't updated at all, so it's a bit
unrealistic test. Lets try again with ENVELOPE headers, BODYSTRUCTURE
and INTERNALDATE added into the cache file.

Dovecot CVS HEAD + cydir + fsync_disable=no:
./imaptest - append=100 seed=1 secs=30 msgs=1000000 logout=0 select=0
clients=100
 100 1023 100/100
   0 1204 100/100
   0 1109 100/100
   0 1104 100/100
   0  976 100/100
   0  824 100/100
   0  781 100/100
   0  762 100/100
..
   0  306 100/100
   0  369 100/100

Totals:
Logi Appe
100% 100%
       5%
 100 18032

So, dovecot.index.cache file could work more nicely with larger
mailboxes. Hmm. I can't seem to figure out easily why it's slowing down
that much though. I guess I'll have to look at it more.

Oh, and cydir is pretty much the same as what Cyrus is using internally.
The only differences are how our index/cache files are implemented.
Here's how Cyrus 2.2.13-10+b1 (Debian) looks like:

./imaptest - append=100 seed=1 secs=30 msgs=1000000 logout=0 select=0
clients=100
Logi Appe
100% 100%
       5%
 100 8546

It was pretty constant at 280/sec. So Dovecot is still about twice as
fast at appending, at least up to 18k mail mailboxes. Cyrus writes a bit
more into its cache file, but it shouldn't give this big of a
difference.