[Dovecot] Login with firstname.lastname instead of loginname

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed May 16 15:24:16 EEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 14:12 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:
>
> > What passdb are you using?
>
> auth default:
>   master_user_separator: *
>   verbose: yes
> passdb:
>   driver: passwd-file
>   args: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.masterusers
>   pass: yes
>   master: yes
> passdb:
>   driver: shadow
> passdb:
>   driver: pam

Do you really have different users in shadow and in pam?

> userdb:
>   driver: passwd
> userdb:
>   driver: passwd

There's no need to have this twice.

> > Dovecot supports aliases if you make the
> > passdb return "user=the-real-user" field.
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields
>
> Hmm, does this mean I add another dummy database containing:
>
> ralf.hildebrandt:user=rhilde
> ralf.hildebrandt at charite.de:user=rhilde

Well, shadow and pam don't support extra fields, so I don't think you
can do anything about these unless you switch to another passdb.
Currently Dovecot doesn't support these kind of "pass through passdbs".

PAM however does support internally changing the username, so it would
be possible for you to create such a PAM module. But I can't help with
that.