[Dovecot] Problems with Shared Mailbox

Gerhard Schmidt estartu at ze.tum.de
Mon May 14 14:22:41 EEST 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 03:07:12PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 14:11 +0200, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:
> >   location = mbox:/var/mail/shared:CONTROL=/var/mail/shared/.control:INDEX=/var/mail/shared/.index
>
> mbox has no CONTROL directory.

I've got this line from an Example on the Web.

> > -rw-rw----  1 dovecot  vhsal      0 May  7 13:50 dovecot-shared
> > -rw-------  1 estartu  vhsal    376 May  7 13:53 dovecot.index
> > -rw-rw----  1 dovecot  vhsal  23552 May  7 13:53 dovecot.index.cache
> > -rw-rw----  1 dovecot  vhsal   7116 May  7 13:53 dovecot.index.log
> >
> > How can I gate dovecot to set the permissions of this files to rw-rw----
>
> mbox doesn't support dovecot-shared file either. So unfortunately this
> won't work.
>
> Also if you used maildir, the dovecot-shared would have to be in the
> maildir directory, not in the index directory.

It was a Test. Didn't expect it to work.

I've check the soucecode some. In lib-index/mail-index.c the file rights
for the index files are hard set to 0600. I've changed this to 0660 and
mbox shared mailboxes do function. It might be a bood idea to make this
configurable. e.g.
location = mbox:/var/mail/shared:INDEX=/var/mail/shared/.index;0660

Stetting the index mode globaly to 0660 is no problem in the enoirement
my server is running but it is not option for most of the others.

Bye
	Estartu

Gerhard Schmidt    | Nick : estartu      IRC : Estartu  |
Fischbachweg 3     |                                    |  PGP Public Key
86856 Hiltenfingen | EMail: estartu at augusta.de          |  on request
Germany            | 					|