[Dovecot] assertion failed

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun May 13 20:50:16 EEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 15:44 +0200, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
> On 2007-05-09, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> >
> > Fixed it to log an error instead in such situations:
> > http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2007-May/008728.html
>
> Great, thanks!
>
> We just moved a large cluster (100k+ active accounts) from courier
> pop/imap to dovecot (v1.0.0), and used the courier-dovecot-migrate.pl
> to do the conversion of maildirs.

Was it courier-dovecot-migrate.pl then that created those broken uidlist
files? I guess I should fix it too then.

> A couple of other failures we've been hitting is:
>
> 	deliver(xxxxx at xxxxx): file mail-index-sync-update.c: line 841 (mail_index_sync_update_index): assertion failed: (view->hdr.messages_count == map->hdr.messages_count)
..
> 	deliver(xxxxxx at xxxxxx): file mail-index.c: line 983 (mail_index_sync_from_transactions): assertion failed: (hdr.messages_count == (*map)->hdr.messages_count)

I hoped these were completely fixed in v1.0. What filesystem do you use?

> 	deliver(xxxxxxxxxxx at xxxxx): file maildir-save.c: line 520 (maildir_transaction_save_commit_pre): assertion failed: (first_uid != 0)

Hopefully fixed by the above patch. Or I think this should happen only
if next_uid=0 in the uidlist header.

> 	dovecot: POP3(xxxxx at xxxxxxx): file maildir-sync.c: line 1075 (maildir_sync_index): assertion failed: (uid > prev_uid)

I haven't seen this one before. I'll try to figure out how it could
happen.

> The "deliver" bugs are quite bad, as they lead to incoming messages
> getting bounced..

Those are all assertion failures. Doesn't your MTA treat deliver crashes
as temporary failures which are retried?