[Dovecot] logging IMAP size?

Armijn Hemel armijn at uulug.nl
Sat May 12 04:28:25 EEST 2007

Hi Timo,

> > is there a way to somehow log the size of an IMAP session with Dovecot?
> > With POP3 there is this pop3 format string I can set in dovecot.conf,
> > but I don't see an equivalent for IMAP.
> >
> > If so, are there any plans to add this functionality?
>
> IMAP has multiple mailboxes, so I don't see how this could work in any
> useful way. It could of course log just INBOX's size, but since the
> client wouldn't necessarily even open the INBOX that would be just extra
> work for nothing but a log line.
>
> What do you need it for anyway?

I work for a small hosting company. We host websites and people's mail
on a shared hosting server. Mail is accessed through POP3 or IMAP. I
need to be able to measure the IMAP size for accounting, since people
pay for the bandwidth and I need to be able to justify it in my
reports :-)

It can already be done with POP3, where there is a "size" value:

dovecot: May 07 09:11:54 Info: POP3(xxxxx at xxxxxxx.xx): Disconnected:
Logged out top=0/0, retr=2/29469, del=2/2, size=29433

armijn