[Dovecot] Virtual User Home Directory, and APOP Clear Text Passwords

imacat imacat at mail.imacat.idv.tw
Fri May 11 07:22:35 EEST 2007

Dear all,

    Hi.  This is imacat from Taiwan.  I'm new to this list.

    I was migrating from Qpopper to Dovecot.  (Qpopper copies the
mailbox when POP3 logged in, which causes quota problem.)  Generally
Dovecot is nice.  However, I have a few questions:

     1. I have a few virtual users, and I'm not using IMAP.  Do I still
have to give them a writable home directory?  I mean, they exists only
for me to receive mails from fetchmail.  They really have nothing but
their inbox.  But if I do not give them a writable home directory, I got
this error in my syslog all the time:

mbox: Can't create root mail directory /home/homeless/mail: Permission denied

     2. I would like to use APOP in addition to SSL/TLS.  Currently
Dovecot saves APOP passwords as clear text.  I understand this.  But is
it possible to have some sort of encoding, for example, Base64?  Just to
prevent casual reads.  I have several users.  I do not want to know
their passwords just to add them to the APOP database.  I do not want
other roots to read my passwords, intended or not.

        Encoded passwords also have the advantage that I can use
passwords that contain the colon sign ":".  It would be nice if
something a little harder than Base64 can be used.

    Thank you very much in advance.

--
imacat ^_*'
imacat at mail.imacat.idv.tw