[Dovecot] Dovecot not handling r/o mailboxes completely, and problem with ACL as a workaround

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Fri May 11 00:12:51 EEST 2007

Thanks for the clarification, I got around to testing the configuration
you claim to use, but unfortunately I cannot get an ACL to have any affect
on the mailbox access :(  Can you tell me what acl flags you are restricting
to (rl, etc) and what actual affect that has on the mail client in terms of
behavior when attempting to perform an unallowed action?

I get this in the log:

May 10 15:46:58 gribble dovecot: IMAP(mcdouga9): acl: initializing backend with data:
vfile:/usr/local/etc/dovecot-acls
May 10 15:46:58 gribble dovecot: IMAP(mcdouga9): acl: acl username = mcdouga9
May 10 15:46:58 gribble dovecot: IMAP(mcdouga9): acl: owner username = mcdouga9
May 10 15:46:58 gribble dovecot: IMAP(mcdouga9): acl vfile: Global ACL directory:
/usr/local/etc/dovecot-acls
May 10 15:46:58 gribble dovecot: IMAP(mcdouga9): acl vfile: reading file
/egr/mail/shared-dovecot2/decs/.support.In/dovecot-acl

# ls -ld .support.In
drwxrws---   5 postlocal decsall     4096 May  9 12:55 .support.In
# ls -ld .support.In/cur
drwxrwxr-x   2 postlocal decsstaff    8192 Apr 24 12:47 .support.In/cur
# ls -ld .support.In/cur/1177428192.M918738P11081.zee
-rw-rw-r--   1 postlocal decsstaff    2904 Apr 24 11:23 .support.In/cur/1177428192.M918738P11081.zee

mcdouga9 is in decsstaff, which has full write permission to the directory
and file.

I have inside that dovecot-acl:
user=mcdouga9 rl
group-override=wheel

I tried just user=mcdouga9 rl   first, no effect, added group-override=wheel
(mcdouga9 is a member of wheel) and restarted thunderbird, still seem to have
full access to the mailbox.  Argh.