[Dovecot] Troubleshooting enhancement request...

Wed May 9 21:27:45 EEST 2007

> Dovecot's -n actually works a bit differently. It lists only the
> settings that aren't the same as defaults, not the settings that have
> been uncommented in dovecot.conf. dovecot -d would be possible also, but
> I don't see it as that useful.

Heh - I actually deleted a final comment something like 'or, maybe you
could just make -n output based on actual diff from the known default
settings for that version vs the current settings, not based on just the
uncommented settings in the file' (the wording was awkward), so, you did
it right from the beginning...

Thanks!

Also - did you see my earlier suggestion for adding to the output of -n?

Sent on 4/26:

I'm the one who suggested the '-n' option to capture the actual
config settings that the running dovecot process was using (ala
postfix), and you implemented it very quickly - so thanks for that!

Now, I'd like to suggest an enhancement...

Many people still do not provide basic things like dovecot version,
and there are secondary config files like dovecot-ldap, whose
settings are not included in the dovecot -n output.

How difficult would it be to add these to the output so that the
output would include the running dovecot version, as well as any
extra config settings from any other files that are loaded when
dovecot starts?

It would sure make it easier, both for us troubleshooting on our own,
and when asking for help on the list.

Many thanks, and terrific job on 1.0!

Now all dovecot lacks is full support for IMAP ACLs/shared folders,
and support for single-instance storage, and it will have no real
competition...

--

Best regards,

Charles