[Dovecot] Password Problems

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed May 9 10:33:18 EEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 10:15 -0700, Don O'Neil wrote:
> I have a user that has a password that has {} in it (left and right curly
> brackets). Under earlier versions of dovecot (less than v1) there weren't
> any problems with it. Now that we've upgraded to v1, his password no longer
> work. The short term solution is for him to change his password, which he
> has. Has anyone else seen this same problem? It seems to pop up more when
> using webmail apps such as Squirrelmail or Uebiumaiu.

If password begins with '{' then Dovecot treats it as
"{scheme}password". Otherwise { and } inside the password shouldn't
matter. It's possible to have '{' as the first character in password if
you make your passdb return the {scheme} prefix always. I guess you're
storing passwords as plaintext, because otherwise this shouldn't be a
problem at all. So make sure all passwords have a {plain} prefix.