[Dovecot] Moving new email from the mail spool to the inbox

Adrian Barker A.Barker at ucl.ac.uk
Sat May 5 16:48:38 EEST 2007

Jonathan wrote:
> Kenny Dail wrote:
>
>>> Adrian Barker wrote:
>>> Thanks for replying. We cannot easily change the way we deliver email,
>>> as we have over 30,000 users, who use a mixture of imap, pop and Unix
>>> email clients, so we have to continue to deliver email to a central mail
>>> spool. The MTA that we run is Exim, which has the flexibility to deliver
>>> into the 'Inbox', but we need to remain compatible with non-IMAP
>>> mailers.
>
>> This is not clear at all, why does the number of users effect the
>> delivery method? What mailbox format are you using?
>
> I believe Adrian is saying that only some of his 30,000 clients use
> IMAP and he does not want to break existing behaviour for those using
> Unix command line clients.

That's right: we cannot change the way that we deliver email, at least
in the short to medium term, so need to maintain compatibility with the
UW IMAP server. If we do decide to write a plugin that copies new email
from the mail spool to the IMAP inbox, is there any documentation on how
to write plugins ? I could not find any on the wiki.

Adrian Barker,
University College London.