[Dovecot] Strange directory created at dovecot launch

Uldis Pakuls neko at it4u.lv
Wed May 2 15:15:57 EEST 2007

Eric wrote:
> I installed dovecot from scratch and compiled it from 1.0.0 source.
> Installed in /usr/local.
> Now everytime I launch dovecot it creates and uses
> /usr/local/var/lib/dovecot and /usr/local/var/run/dovecot directories. For
> the latter I found the modifications to do in dovecot.conf for using
> /var/run/dovecot instead, but for the former I see nothing about such
> directory in dovecot.conf. What happens ? How can I configure it so that
> dovecot uses /var/lib/dovecot instead ?

Default locations must be set before compilation using "./configure"
You need  to run "./configure --localstatedir=/var"
run "./configure --help" for all configure options

Actually thees are general make options, but i recommend to look at
dovecot specific too.
...and. it is good idea too, to adjust other file locations (like
--bindir, --libexecdir, etc)  to match your system layout.
> Thank you
>
> Eric

Uldis