[Dovecot] dovecot-uidlist locking

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jul 24 11:58:43 EEST 2007

On 24.7.2007, at 11.33, Tony Tsang wrote:

> I've a dovecot server setup and occassionally clients cannot get mails
> from their inbox. When I inspect the maildir for that user, there is
> stale dovecot-uidlist.lock file, and imap process keeps waiting for
> release of the lock. Is there any other method to perform locking on
> dovecot-uidlist instead of using dotlock mechanism?
>
> It is creating maintenance problems if I need to remove those stale
> lock files everytime clients hit this problem

The lock is overridden after 2 minutes of waiting. I suppose it
should be overridden immediately if it's too old though.. Hmm. I'll
try to do something about this for 1.0.3.

In any case you should rather figure out why you even have stale lock
files and try to fix that. I'd think there would be something in
error logs. Or are you using NFS?