[Dovecot] Connecting to dovecot/imap without a password

Don Russell russell.don at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 00:07:14 EEST 2007

I have written a script that connects (localhost) to the dovecot/imap
server and performs various maintenance on my mail, by folder.....
deleting old stuff, keeping the n most recent, that sort of crap, er
good stuff. :-)

My script is written in php (I use the various imap_* functions), and it
connects to the imap server running on the same machine... is there a
way to connect to the server without having to specify my user name and
password?

I was thinking there may be some form of "implied" logon if a request
from user "don" requests to log on to user "don", then there's no need
for a password check, when the connection is via localhost.

That way I don't have to deal with userid/password related issues. :-)

Thanks