[Dovecot] Virtual servers

John Hedges john at drystone.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 00:08:24 EEST 2007

Hello

I'm migrating from Courier to Dovecot (1.0.rc15) on Debian. I am trying
to set up virtual servers based on the principal in this thread:
    http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-October/017165.html
which suggests something like this to support multiple certificates:

    server foo {
      listen = 1.2.3.4
      ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/foo.cer
    }

    server bar {
      listen = 1.2.3.5
      ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/bar.cer
    }

My virtual configs look like this:

    server mail.domain1.org {
      listen = 1.2.3.4
      protocols = pop3 pop3s imap imaps
      ssl_cert_file = /etc/mail/hosts/domain1.org/ssl.crt
      ssl_key_file = /etc/mail/hosts/domain1.org/ssl.key
      auth default {
        mechanisms = plain
        passdb passwd-file {
          args = /etc/mail/hosts/domain1.org/userdb
        }
        userdb passwd-file {
          args = /etc/mail/hosts/domain1.org/userdb
        }
      }
    }

    server mail.domain2.org {
      listen = 1.2.3.5
      protocols = imap imaps
      ssl_cert_file = /etc/mail/hosts/domain2.org/ssl.crt
      ssl_key_file = /etc/mail/hosts/domain2.org/ssl.key
      auth default {
        mechanisms = plain
        passdb passwd-file {
          args = /etc/mail/hosts/domain2.org/userdb
        }
        userdb passwd-file {
          args = /etc/mail/hosts/domain2.org/userdb
        }
      }
    }

but I can't get ithis to work. Dovecot starts but authorisation
fails. Is this kind of setup possible - is it possible to configure
different passwd-files for connections on different IPs, or am I going
to have to run separate instances of Dovecot for each virtual host?

Thanks

John