[Dovecot] problem with NFS from Microsoft Windows Services for Unix

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun Feb 25 15:51:28 UTC 2007

At 8:34 AM +0100 2/25/07, Arnaud Grandville  imposed structure on a
stream of electrons, yielding:
>Your are right guys !
>
>I have two choices:
>- Modify the source code of dovecot, changes are to be reported to
>mail-storage.h. I just have to set the two #define MAILDIR_INFO_SEP_S
>and MAILDIR_INFO_SEP to a value that my Windows server could handle
>- set a translation character table under my Microsoft NFS service
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324218.
>
>The second seems to be a better choice !

A *MUCH* better choice. Changing the info separator would bind your
Maildirs to your particular modified version of Dovecot. One of the
benefits of Maildir as mailbox storage is that it is rather easy for
disparate pieces of software to work with the same mailboxes, while
exposing significant message state through the filesystem rather than
file content.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com