[Dovecot] 1.0.rc24 released

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Fri Feb 23 11:26:20 UTC 2007

On Friday February 23, 2007 at 03:24:29 (AM) Jay Chandler wrote:

[snip]

> I've also had to deal with the "Twenty something release candidates?
> What, can't they get it right by now?" comments.  I'm a big fan of
> Dovecot personally, but again, there are manglement pressures afoot...

Personally, it makes no difference to me what naming convention you use
to describe a software realise; however, there has been chatter on some
of the boards that I frequent regarding this abuse of "RC" releases.
Apparently, no one has ever heard of any software ever approaching this
astronomical level of 'RC' releases. It is becoming something of a joke.
I did see a reference on the MailScanner boards recommending not using
Dovecot simply for this reason.

It might be prudent at this point to do what Wietse just did with
Postfix-2.4 and implement a code freeze. No further code is being added
to the product and it is scheduled for release on or about April 1.

Just my 2¢.

--
Gerard

Bumper sticker: