[Dovecot] False "new mail" warning from Thunderbird, using RC23

Wed Feb 21 13:22:36 UTC 2007

> Very often, Thunderbird will pop up the "new mail" notification window,
> and put a "new mail" icon in the Windows icon bar. However, when I view
> the main Thunderbird window, there will be no folders with new mail.
> Simply changing the currently selected folder in Thunderbird will clear
> the tray icon. Sometimes the notification window will say something
> small like "7 new messages", but right now, it's showing huge numbers
> like "587 new messages", which could be the total message count in one
> of my folders... Sometimes restarting Thunderbird will stop this
> happening for a short while.
>
> Is this a Thunderbird bug? Am I the only one seeing this?

There are some long-standing bugs with Thunderbird for new mail
notifications - seem to be mostly imap related. I've been seeing this
for so long with Thunderbird that I just got used to it...

It happened when we were using courier-imap as well, and behavior seems
to be about the same with Dovecot...

googling to see if these have been fixed (seems to be some promise that
they will finally be fixed in 2.0 series), I stumbled on this extension
someone else (not the extension dev) said fixed the problem for him, so
I'm gonna try it:

Mailbox Alert Extension
https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2610/

--