[Dovecot] Convert plugin

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Tue Feb 20 20:55:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 12:49 -0800, Jay Chandler wrote:
> convert_mail = mbox:%h/mail
>
>     Convert plugin. If set, specifies the source storage path which is
>     converted to destination storage (mail_location) when the user logs
>     in. The existing mail directory is renamed to <dir>-converted.
>
> I'm not entirely clear on what this does.  If someone can clarify for
> me, I'll update the Wiki.

From what I remember from discussions here the idea is if you have (ok I
peeked ahead and know you do) mbox folders in some older storage and
maildir folders in some new storage then on the first login the old
storage is read and converted to the new storage.

The new storage is just the regular storage as given by mail_location,
but obviously it needs to know what to convert as well. That's what
convert_mail is, same syntax rules apply and you can convert from
anything dovecot supports to anything else.

> I'm hoping it'll allow me to convert from mbox to Maildir-- otherwise
> I'm looking at a weekend of downtime when that project comes due...

Yeah. That's the idea afaik.

johannes