[Dovecot] 1.0.rc23 tomorrow

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Feb 17 14:07:32 UTC 2007

On 17.2.2007, at 15.31, Mário Gamito wrote:

> You know, i was about to install courier-imap (which i don't like),
> wehn a colleague of mine that works in SAPO (i'm portuguese)
> recommended me dovecot, saying it was fire and forget software with
> qmail-ldap.
>
> Unfortunately, this seems not to be the case.
> Probably, it is my bad, something that i don't see or don't know
> how is done.

The problem is that qmail-ldap doesn't work the way Dovecot expects
it to work. I'd even say that qmail-ldap'a auth_imap is broken since
it doesn't work the way checkpassword binary is supposed to work.

However setting the auth user like I said earlier would most likely
fix this. But you'll first need to know what the auth user is. It's
not the virtual username, it's some system user in /etc/passwd. But I
don't know what username qmail-ldap is using, so you'll first need to
figure out what the user is (it's the same user that's used to store
the mails).