[Dovecot] Bug tracking system

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Thu Feb 15 21:23:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 19:25 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 18:31 +0100, Udo Rader wrote:
> > #1: post all incoming bugs (entered via a [web] interface) to a mailing
> >     list, such as dovecot-bugs
>
> Would be nice also to translate existing mails in mailing list into bug
> reports, but I guess it's not that horrible if it has to be copy&pasted
> and another mail about that bug then appears.

Yes, that is certainly not difficult.

> Also I'd rather not require users to register into the BTS at all to add
> new bugs. Just writing the bug subject, description and giving an email
> address should be enough.

Yes, that is possible as well. There are two options for this:

#1 Users remain unidentified and the bug is posted as a global user

#2 Users are looked up based upon their email address. If an unknown
email address enters a bug report or adds note to an existing bug
report, it is automatically added as a BTS user.

The latter has the big advantage that users can identify their own
bugreports/notes much easier later on.

Well, the disadvantage of this however is that it requires some
countermeasures to prevent spammers from using it as their way to make
us all happy with their lottery winnings, "enlargment" stuff and
such :-)

> > #3: allow email based replies based on the subject line that go back
> >     directly into the bugtracker
>
> Also from people not registered to the bug tracker? What about
> creating/preserving Message-ID / References headers so that the comments
> in one bug also show up as a single thread in the mailing list?

Yes, that is #2 from above. And about the headers ... the bugzilla email
interface support this, mantis however (which I would favour for various
reasons) does not support this out of the box AFAIK, but it is OSS, so
it should not be too difficult to patch it.

Threading however is always possible based upon the subject of the
autogenerated mails coming from the BTS.

> > All this can be easily setup for bugzilla and mantis (the only ones that
> > I personally have dealt with to a greater extent so far).
> >
> > If help is needed to get such a configuration working (also including
> > hosting of such a solution), I personally (and the company I work for)
> > would be happy to help out.
>
> If the above two things could be made to work, I guess we could finally
> have a bug tracker. :)

Sure, if I can provide anything to get things working, just let me know.

--
Udo Rader

bestsolution.at EDV Systemhaus GmbH
http://www.bestsolution.at