[Dovecot] Changing the Seen Flags per Shared folder

Wed Feb 14 22:35:26 UTC 2007

> src/lib-storage/index/maildir/maildir-storage.c around line 519:
> mbox->private_flags_mask = MAIL_SEEN;
>
> Change MAIL_SEEN to 0.
 >
> This is the part of the code where it's configured whether the mailbox
> stores private seen flags or not.

Now thats a scary thought - me, modifying a c program file... ;)

>> So, again, just to clarify - it is currently not possible to configure
>> this on a per shared folder basis?

> No, it's hardcoded. I'll make it configurable whenever I get around to
> making Dovecot really and properly support shared folders. Not sure when
> that will happen.

When the time is right, I'm sure... it works now, but I'm sure when you
implement it 'properly', it will just kick the crap out of courier and
cyrus' implementations.

> If you want it now, you can change that code to check somehow if you
> want private seen flags or not. For example something like:
>
> if (stat(t_strdup_printf("%s/dovecot-shared-private-seen-flags",
> mbox->path)) == 0)
> 	mbox->private_flags_mask = MAIL_SEEN;

Ahhh... hmmm... well, I guess I'll have to see if I can find someone to
help me out with this. I wouldn't trust myself to code this even if it
was on my own personal server, much less a production server that I
manage for someone else (I do all the time-consuming stuff, and have a
friend who I call when I can't figure something out on my own).

Also - I'm assuming this isn't only supported for mbox format, and that
I would just substitute maildir for mbox above if I'm using maildir (why
use anything else)?

Thanks Timo, both for dovecot and for taking the time to answer all
these questions on the list. I'll be glad when I'm confident enough to
start helping you with the trivial stuff.

--

Best regards,

Charles