[Dovecot] info deleted messages imap

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 14 19:12:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 02:41 +0100, Hola wrote:

> And we don´t know the number of messages deleted, the question is:
> there is
> any directive like "pop3_logout_format" applied to IMAP?? Something
> like
> "imap_logout_format" ??

No, this is mostly because with POP3 it's very simple to give such a
number. With IMAP then:

 - There are more than one mailbox. Should it count messages in all
mailboxes?
 - IMAP has two-phase deletion. First the messages are marked as
deleted, then they're expunged. Should it count expunges only? (I'd
guess so)
 - Some IMAP clients "delete" messages by moving them to Trash mailbox.
Are those counted as deletions?
 - IMAP supports multiple connections, and many clients use them. If
another session expunges messages and our session sees those expunges,
should they be counted?

I think there are too many problems to give any kind of useful counters.
If you just want it to give somewhat unrealiable counters, I guess that
could be done somewhat easily by a plugin.

Anyway, this is a low priority for me.