[Dovecot] Is it 1.0 yet?

Dean Brooks dean at iglou.com
Wed Feb 14 18:10:41 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 06:57:37PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Marc Perkel schrieb:
>
> > OK - my last main bug was fixed a few releases ago. I know that there's
> > no end to getting things right but there comes a point when you need to
> > call it done. No one trusts a 1.0 to be perfect but Dovecot is already
> > better that most 2.0 versions of other software.
> >
> > I vote (as if my vote counted) to call it done, declare victory, and
> > move on to 1.01, 1.02 etc. No one is going to trus it till it gets to
> > 1.02 so I say lets bless it and move on.
>
> I'd urge Timo to leave it at "-rc" until the bug discovery (reporting)
> rate has dropped considerably, until a stable set of documentation files
> is ready to ship and only then call it stable.

I'd have to agree with this opinion.  I am relatively new to Dovecot,
but RC18 through RC21 had a large number of significant bugs, crashes
and other problems.

Most of them, if not all, appear to have been fixed, but it's somewhat
concerning how many major issues were found.

It would seem to me that a total freeze on new features would be
prudent, followed by a settling period of at least a month or two
before considering it release quality.

--
Dean Brooks
dean at iglou.com