[Dovecot] --log-error and the mysterious "not starting" problem

Marshal Newrock marshal at idealso.com
Mon Feb 12 20:14:40 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:26:27 -0500
Marshal Newrock <marshal at idealso.com> wrote:

> > It wrote the error message to stderr, but I guess it wasn't shown in
> > the screen or logged?
> >
> > Anyway, fix here:
> > http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2007-February/007637.html
> >
> > Another workaround would be to set imap_capability manually so
> > Dovecot doesn't need to run the dump-capability process (it checks
> > if plugins added more capabilities).
>
> This make sense.  I had recently also tried upgrading to rc22 to see
> if it fixed another problem, and at that point, dovecot always crashed
> when trying to start up at "dump-capability".  As soon as I have time
> later today, I'll send the complete output of trying to start rc22,
> along with testing to verify exactly when it crashes, and try setting
> imap_capability manually.

With dovecot-1.0.rc22, compiled with the Gentoo "debug" USE flag set,
any attempt to start dovecot with an imap mail_plugin set, but
imap_capability not set, results in the following:

 * Starting dovecot ...
Panic: Leaked socket fd 3: 207.179.118.5:60169 -> 207.179.118.2:3306
Error: Raw backtrace: [0x80b457a] -> [0x80b444c] -> [0x80b4786] ->
[0x8063997] -> /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xd8) [0xb7eb0878] ->
[0x80567a1]
Error: imap dump-capability process killed with signal 6

If any more info is needed, just tell me what to do.

If imap_capability is set, then it starts without a problem, both from
command-line and as a background process from monit.

With http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2007-February/007637.html
applied, it goes back to the behavior described previously, but with
imap_capability set, it starts without a problem.

Thank you.  The workaround is sufficient for me.  I'll help with
testing as I can.

--
Marshal Newrock, Ideal Solution LLC
http://www.idealso.com